An informational and awe-inspiring blog about the wonderfully creative, amazingly talented students at Harmony Elementary!







Monday, January 24, 2011

Time flies......

WOW! I haven't posted in a while - I may have A LOT to say.
Glad to be back at school after Winter Break I AND II - with the snow/ice storm that hit us right after we got back to school in January. Those days home were great - if only I knew I was going to be homebound for 10 days - I would have brought more stuff from school home to work on - oh, well. I did get a chance to work on my own art.
Big news was taking place at Duncan Creek on January 18 - 21, 2011. We were lucky enough to have a visiting artist at our school. Mavis Stevens, fiber/textile artist was at our school and shared with our students her work, and her stories. We had a great time listening to her during her "spinning" demonstration as she spun fibers into thread. All students got the opportunity to visit the art room during her visit and be part of her audience. A big thanks to the admin, staff and students for welcoming Mavis and making her feel like a part of "the CREEK". And a big thanks to Mavis for sharing her passion with all of us. You can find out more about Mavis at her website - www.mavisstevens.com.

Since DCES hosted a fiber artist, it seems only fitting that students create fiber masterpieces as well. All grades will begin a lesson on fiber/textiles and/or weaving. Photos will be posted soon.